Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Bobby Knight

Last Sunday I was at the Portland International Airport at 5 in the morning, waiting for my flight back to Salt Lake City, when I had an interesting celebrity encounter. I saw the Texas Tech men's basketball team, along with their head coach Bobby Knight. I didn't get to actually speak or interact with Mr. Knight, mainly because I'm absolutely terrified of the man, despite the fact that I'm a long time admirer of his work on the court. I'm not the type who likes to approach celebrities anyway, but usually just because I don't want to bother them, not because I'm afraid they'll belittle and/or choke me. A couple of observations:

At one point, Knight walked by a small child, probably 6 years old, and said something to him. As he walked away he was staring the kid down, with that stone-cold sober look on his face. Now, I'm sure he told the kid some sort of joke or something like that (and thought he was being funny by maintaining a serious look), but at that moment I realized Bobby Knight is one of those people who children have nightmares about. For me it was Darth Vader, but for that small boy at the airport it's Bobby Knight.

Then I realized that kids aren't the only ones who are afraid of Bobby Knight--I'm afraid of Bobby Knight too. If I ever came across him in a dark alley somewhere, I would honestly run for my life. It's not because I think I would lose a fight to him (I feel pretty good about my odds against anyone over 65), it's just that, for some reason, I can picture him going on a fishing trip with Darth Vader.

No comments: