Monday, December 31, 2007

Welcome

As you may or may not know/care, I recently moved into a house. Apparently when I first went to check it out I was suffering from temporary blindness, because as it turns out it’s a huge dump. Student housing is always something of an adventure, but this one definitely takes the cake. Let me take you on a virtual tour:

First let’s start in my bedroom, which is located in the basement. It features handsome pink carpet, and two (you heard me, TWO) desks! Here’s the first one:



The cinder blocks made me stop and scratch my head a bit, but that was before my eyes passed over this beauty:



Now, can someone tell me what exactly is going on here? I have a pretty crazy imagination . . . but I can’t even begin to imagine what happened to this desk. Did they need the other half for fire wood or something? I stood there staring at this thing for about 3 straight hours trying to figure it out, and finally ended up calling the landlord to see where and when I could throw the thing out. We had the following exchange:

Me: So, I have two desks in my room (I should have said one-and-a-half), and uh, one of them looks like it got chopped in half or something and is propped up on some stuff . . . I don’t really need it so, I don’t know if I can just get rid of it or . . . ?

(at this point I’m expecting him to be surprised at the state of his once glorious office desk, or to be upset, SOMETHING)

Landlord: Nooooo, we need to hang on to that. You can put it in storage if you want.

This of course means that my landlord official wins the Cheapest Bastard of 2007 award. You can tell the desk was crappy even when it was brand new. The only way I’d ever insist on keeping a sawed-in-half, propped-up-on-cinder-blocks desk would be if it were made of solid gold. This thing I’m pretty sure is made out of press board.

Coming soon: New house tour part II

3 comments:

Brent Diggs said...

The cinder block, time honored foundation of college housing.

Be proud to carry on such a noble tradition.

Happy New Year.

FortunaLee said...

What you have are two sections of a single L-shaped desk. Someone hath torn them asunder... and didn't bother putting them back into the original configuration.

robkroese said...

We used to use those giant wooden spools they use for cable as end tables.

You should cut a monitor and keyboard in half and put them on the desk.