Monday, December 10, 2007

People Magazine Will Ruin Your Life

There's nothing I love more than going to the grocery store, and it's not because it's the place where I stock up on food and goods that help me survive. It's because that's where I catch up on the lives of all the hottest celebs! Britney got drunk this weekend while breast feeding here 4 year old child? NO WAY! They're going to cancel America's Next Top Model? Write your senators! Angelina Jolie has an opinion on global warming? DO TELL!

This is where you find the answers to all of life's great mysteries, like, is Tom Cruise gay, what rehab center did Lindsey Lohan check into this week, and most importantly, which celebrity is most anorexic-y?

Magazines like People and US teach us important things about celebs and their interesting lives. For example, take a look at this picture with caption taken from People Magazine's web site:

Hilary Charges Up
Update! Duff makes a morning pit stop at Starbucks in L.A. Plus: Brad & Angelina, Britney, Nicole Richie and more

Hilary Duff drinks coffee? Amazing! And to think she does it while talking on the phone . . . See, these are the things I need to know about celebrities. Then there was this little number:


SPIRITED GATHERING
After some
South of the border fun with girlfriend Karina Smirnoff, Mario Lopez catches up with fellow Dancing with the Stars alum Stacy Keibler Thursday at the Heineken USC Music Video Launch Party at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills.

Hey everyone, it's AC Slater! I'm glad we're still keeping tabs on crappy Saturday morning TV stars from 20 years ago. I wonder what Mr. Belding is up to?

Now, people could utilize their time by reading Newsweek, Time, or some other magazine with stories that actually mattered, but frankly the world is an easier place to live in when the biggest story is Jennifer Love-Hewitt defending herself from the latest fat-accusations. You go girl!

4 comments:

family member said...

I'm so glad these magazines are available so that I have good, wholesome role models to strive to be like.

Unknown said...

Trouble is, Newsweek and Time aren't all that different. A thin veneer of news (~5-8 pages), some junk weight-loss "science" stories, and at least 20 pages of celebrity gossip to finish it out.
My dad bought a lifetime subscription to Newsweek when he was in the Army (GREAT use of money), so we always had it around. It's pitched at an 11-year-old level, or at least that's the age I started to scorn it.
I like the Economist. It may be three weeks old by the time I read it, but at least it's . . . proofread.

Anonymous said...

Crazy enough... at ECU they had a "celebrity" come and kick off the basketball season (they were completely defeted last year...) and they had Mr. Belding. I guess he makes a living by going to no name colleges and smokin' the ol' peace pipe.

Sherry said...

And to think, foolish people like me spent four years in college...I could have home schooled and learned to get coffee at Starbucks if only I had read People magazine...