Monday, May 25, 2009

El viaje a Perú

I'm sitting in the Bogota Colombia airport, waiting for my flight to Lima. The flight from Houston to Bogota was long, and we got in at 4:25 in the morning. Since arriving I've been patted down twice, been pulled aside twice to have my bag searched, been sniffed by a pair of drug dogs, and practically robbed by a guy who asked for a tip after "helping" me find my terminal. ("Even though you could have done this yourself, since I brought you here you should give me money now.") A few other observations:

-In the States when you buy a mystery pastry, you expect that it will be filled by delicious sugary cream, compote, jam, etc. In Colombia when you buy a mystery pastry, it might be filled with mystery meat and vegetables. 

-I bought a Spanish basketball magazine in the airport bookstore here, only to find that it's from last November. The fold out poster is of Allen Iverson in his Nuggets jersey. How times have changed. 


1 comment:

Deyce said...

That's funny. You'll have to keep us posted on more of the differences between here and there.