Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm just a big dumb tourist

My second day in Lima I had a brief orientation with one of my volunteer supervisors. She told me to beware of pickpocketers and swindlers looking to take advantage of confused/goofy looking tourists. 

Well, apparently I wasn't paying close enough attention. Yesterday I went out to explore Chiclayo, the city where I will be working. There were hundreds of vendors and little stores, markets, etc. A young boy approached me and insisted that he clean my shoes on his little shoe-shining box. I went ahead and let him clean my shoes, and after cleaning the first one he handed me his "price list," which conveniently showed that the service I was receiving was the most expensive: 22 soles, or about $7.30. I rolled my eyes and told him it was too much, but in the end didn't put up much of a fight. When he was done I told him I needed change, and when he brought me his change he told me that it was 22 soles for EACH SHOE. I protested but he just handed me my changed and quickly walked away. $15 dollars for a 3 minute shoe wash is not a good deal. I was angry at myself the rest of the day for being taken for a big dumb tourist, and not putting my foot down (literally) when this kid tried to charge me too much. 

2 comments:

family member said...

I had a thought the other night. Maybe that little kid had a really great meal that night. I don't condone what they do, but what might we do if we were hungry enough?
Love you,
MOM

Dawn said...

funny story Stephen! I hope you're doing well. I can't wait to hear more about what you're doing.